Tuesday, May 16, 2006

End of Classes, Exit Meetings with Nonprofits, Visiting Romanian Fulbrighters, Prague Marathon

Yesterday was the last day of classes for the semester. It certainly zipped by. My students all turned in their papers on time and I have all my grading done and turned in. It is a good feeling. I enjoyed the students and I feel good about what they learned. My class was their first exposure to communication as an organizational function, and they really took to the concepts and processes. They produced some strong Strategic Communications Plans, as final projects, especially considering that they had only one class in which to master the elements.

I have been meeting one-by-one with each of the nonprofits that I have consulted with. There may be some opportunity for future collaborations with a few of them. That we be wonderful.

Margaret and Ben, the Fulbrighters with whom I stayed in Romania, came to visit over the weekend. They arrived Thursday in late afternoon, and we started their visit with a perfectly gorgeous evening! Taking advantage of it, after resting with a glass of wine, we rode the funicular up the hill to a restaurant with a wonderful view of the city and had a good Czech dinner. Then we walked down the hill and stopped for a nightcap at St. Nicholas Café. To polish it off, we walked back across the Charles Bridge and through the Old Town Square. Quite spectacular.

They took a city Friday tour, while I graded papers. In the evening we went to a brew-pub for dinner and then to see Madame Butterfly at the State Opera House. We decided that an opera with more action might have been a better choice to see at an Opera House with only Czech subtitles. It was more like watching a concert than an opera...ha!

On Saturday they visited the Castle, while I graded papers. In the evening we went to a Thai restaurant near my apartment and then walked over to Old Town Square where there was a concert in connection with the Prague Marathon Sunday morning. We decided we would enjoy that music more if we were farther away from it. So we went to the rooftop terrace of the U Prince Hotel and had a drink while watching the action below. Great!

Sunday we went to watch the start of the Marathon. It actually ran by the corner near my apratment, but we went a little closer to the start line just for fun. The sponsors were giving away bottled water, visors, apples, balloons, and rain covers. Very colorful! Margaret and Ben then went on a tour of the Jewish Section, while I graded more papers. It was a good visit.

Russ arrives tomorrow!

No comments: