Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Graduate Class and Faculty Party

I am again teaching a graduate class at Charles University's Civil Sector Studies program. I met the students once for a seminar and the rest will be done on internet. I took the metro out to the suburbs, to the former kindergarten where the program now holds classes, having moved from the"penthouse" where I met the students last spring. There are many apartment buildings in the area and it is quite open and attractive. But, as you will see in the photo below, the former kindergarten looks more like a prison than a classroom building...from the outside. Inside, it is quite nice. I liked it better than the penthouse. I took a picture out the window of the classroom. The leaves are autumnal and the air was crisp. It was dark when I left class at 6:30. With the darkness, my photo of the outside of the building makes it look even more forboding than it did in the daylight. After the class, I went to a faculty party at Jinonice, the main campus of the Faculty of the Humanities. I posted icy, snowy pictures from there in January. It was warmer this time. It was good to see the department chair and my host professor again. I also got to speak briefly to Professor Sokol, whom I wrote about in the spring. He is the Dean of the Faculty and a former dissident. He was the person who most impressed me of all the people I met during my Fulbright. I am posting his photo below.

No comments: