Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine’s Day

It was a wonderfully sunny, crisp day. I worked on my classes this morning, and spent more time trying to get internet in the flat. I have engaged my real estate agent in the quest. I tried another 5 internet “providers.” Two, that I reached, said they would have a salesman call me in two or three days. Four others did not answer their phones, or had answering machines with messages in Czech, so I didn’t know if there was helpful information there or not.

The afternoon was a pleasant change from the internet search frustration. I walked through Old Town Square, passing a wedding along the way. Note the lovely white fur cape on the bride in the photos.

Carol asked me if there is music on the Square in the winter, as there was when we were here in the summer. So, I am posting a photo of the musicians in the snow…along with one of Carol’s favorite Czech “restaurant.”

From the Square, I walked over the Charles Bridge to the Mala Strana neighborhood. As a Fulbrighter, I had been invited to a lecture on the Middle East at the US Embassy. Most of the attendees were Ambassadors and Embassy personnel from other countries…Eygpt, Saudi Arabia, Morocco. I know they were there because they asked questions and identified themselves. The US Ambassador was there and I introduced myself and chatted with him. He’s a Bush cousin from Alabama. It was pretty interesting and I was glad I went.

This evening I took my first ‘Czech for Foreigners’ class. The other students are from Japan, England, Cuba, Nigeria, Tunisia, Spain, and Egypt. The language has declensions and conjugations! Heaven help me! Tonight I learned the verb “to be” and one of the three verbs for “to know.” There is a fourth verb that means “to not know.” I’m not sure if there are negatives for all three “to know”s. Oh my! I am glad I took Latin in high school. At least I know that Genitive follows prepositions and Nominative is for subjects of sentences. It was intimidating. Brian, just think, your love of Latin may lead to wanting to learn Czech and to your getting a Fulbright to be a student here!

My spirits were lifted on the way home way when I crossed again through Old Town Square and it was spectacular in the evening light. I’ll try to post a couple of the pictures I took.

Valentine wishes to all of you.

No comments: