Saturday, February 04, 2006

We're not in Florida anymore...-5C



January 23, 2006

We’re definitely not in Florida anymore. We arrived three days ago to snow and temperatures in the single digits. Okay! It is a beautiful place in winter, too.

Russ decided not to come for the whole time. But he is here with me now to help me get settled in. Happily, we have a decent, relatively inexpensive hotel with wifi.

With an agent recommended by a previous Prague Fulbrighter from Gallaudet, we looked at four apartments our first day here. One was great, but not in the area where I’d hoped to live. The others didn’t quite do it. Over the weekend we took long, cold walks, ate Czech food, drank real Budweiser and Pilzner Urquell (not at the same sitting)…nice.

Today we are going to look at more apartments. I got a cell phone. I tried to get more adapters to plug in American appliances to Czech outlets. I brought a voltage adapter and, before I left Florida, I bought chargers that didn’t need converters for most of my electronics. But I could use more than the one plug adapter that I bought last summer. Too bad, they were out in the only store I could find that might have them. I’ll just have to plug in one thing at a time.

No comments: