Friday, March 24, 2006

Prague Botanical Garden

A botanical garden has a different charm in March. The snow is not quite melted. The ponds still have ice. The walkways are muddy. The towhees, or whatever the European version is called, are abundant and easily visible. The rhododendrons are still covered against the frost. Spruce tree prunings are covering the flower beds to give them a bit of shelter from the cold. I was one of only about 8 people in the garden. It was quite delightful. A long steep hike up to the garden. But delightful, nevertheless.

Beyond the garden was the green house. That was better than delightful…close to heavenly. It was hot in there. It was humid. I loved it. I sweated for the first time since leaving Florida. Sweat is good.

I had a crocus experience. On the way into the green house, I spotted a bed of little crocuses just starting to bloom. I took their picture. On my way out, a second bed had come out. Nice!

No comments: